Activists plan on continuing to stand up to Gov. Scott Walker’s assault on the rights of Wisconsin residents by refusing to comply with recent attempts by the governor to stifle free speech and assembly. As a reaction to daily Solidarity Sing-Alongs held Monday through Friday at the capitol, Walker instituted new rules that would limit the people’s ability to voice their opposition to the governor’s policies:
Jason Stein at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel lays out the specifics on what is going on in terms of Walker’s attempt to hold protesters financially liable and compel them to apply for permits for any demonstrations of four or more 72 hours in advance.
This dictatorial move by Scott Walker has already been asserted to be unconstitutional in an editorial in Madison’s Capital Times newspaper…
The sing-a-longs have been a staple of activism in Wisconsin since March, 2011:
The Solidarity Sing Along itself may further be one of the best examples of how—even aside from the recalls—the prevailing spirit of the State Capitol occupation has never left.
The sing alongs began at the State Capitol in Madison on March 11, 2011, and one has been held at the Capitol every week-day at noon since. And similarly (at least in terms of tactics) to occupation, “they serve to maintain a continuous progressive, pro-labor presence at the Capitol, as well as providing a place where union members, activists, and citizens can come together and rejuvenate their spirits through song as we continue the fight against Governor Walker and his Republican allies.”
Indeed, I’ve been assured that every day since the mass protests started dying down there has been an average of 50-100 Wisconsinites who go back to the site of the occupation to use song in a continuous action against Governor Walker.
The singers have expressed their intentions to ignore the new rules and continue the sing-a-longs despite Walker’s attempt to shut them down.
- Wisconsin Activists to Stand Up to Gov. Scott Walker’s Assault on Free Speech (crooksandliars.com)
- manicchill: Governor Scott Walker’s New Anti-Protest Strategy:… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Come Saturday Morning: Scott Walker, Bill Haslam, and the Cost of the Bullets (firedoglake.com)
- Scott Walker to start charging Wisconsinites for protesting (dailykos.com)
- In Wisconsin, a Recall Effort Belies a Progressive Comeback (esquire.com)
- Wisconsin Video Activist Arrested For Recording Inside Capitol (pixiq.com)
- Scott Walker is pissing himself, should win a special political Darwin Award! (dangerousminds.net)