At the request of CNN, the department provided two photographs of Manson taken in June at the state prison in Corcoran, California. They show Manson, 77, with long, flowing gray hair, long beard and mustache.
Photos are taken of prisoners when they are transferred to other prisons or medical facilities or, in the case of Manson, when an inmate’s appearance changes.
“He looks a lot different,” department of corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said.
The last prison photo of Manson was released three years ago and showed Manson with the top of his head shaved. One distinguishing mark remains in the recent photos, a swastika tattoo on Manson’s forehead.
A parole hearing is scheduled April 11 for Manson, who was initially sentenced to death for the 1969 slayings of actress Sharon Tate and six others by a group of his followers as part of what prosecutors said was an attempt to incite a race war. His death sentence was changed to life in prison after California‘s death penalty was overturned for a period during the 1970s.
Manson may choose not to attend the hearing. The last time he appeared at his parole hearing was 15 years ago. He has been denied parole 11 times.
Manson has not been a model inmate. A prosecutor who handled Manson’s parole hearings told CNN in 2009 that Manson had a “laundry list of violations in prison.”
In the past five years, Manson was punished for threatening a peace officer and for possession of a weapon, the latter happening in October when Manson was found with a sharpened pen, Thornton said.
Manson received notoriety when he was found to be in possession of a contraband cell phone — twice — the latest in January 2011. That incident is still under investigation. Prison officials said they tracked phone numbers in California, Oregon and Maine.
- ‘Restless Souls’: The Tate Family’s Crusade to Keep the Manson Killers Behind Bars (Review) (popmatters.com)
- Maxwell Keith, lawyer in Manson case, dies at 87 (sfgate.com)
- Manson Case Still Resonates 40 Years Later (prweb.com)
Let’s make a uterus or VJJ for each male rep in congress!
If they have their own, they can leave ours alone!
Follow these simple steps:
- Knit or crochet a vagina or uterus
- Print a message to enclose
(see below for a suggested message)
- Mail it to your male Senator or Congressional Representative
(see the links to the right)
- We’re in the process of arranging hand delivery to congressional offices in Washington, until then, go ahead and mail yours in!
- Record your items in this spreadsheet so we can track which representatives still need to receive a “gift”!
- Don’t forget to thank your representative if he respects women and supports our rights.
We are women, we are strong, we are smart. And we have a sense of humor.
We do not need government interference with our doctors or our healthcare.
We do not need government probing our vaginas to help us make decisions about abortion.
We do not need government to give us guidance about whether or not to take birth control.
We do not need misogynistic pundits calling us sluts and prostitutes.
We are half of the population and we will not be treated as children or a disenfranchised minority.